This Saturday, November 17th, Rocky River Public Library is celebrating its 90th Anniversary. The library was built in 1928, but the idea began in 1877 when members of the newly formed North Ridge Literary Society decided to contribute an annual fee to purchase 345 books for a public library. The Society and its social fellowship dissolved in 1902, the books were put in storage and, 22 years later, they became a library for adults at Rocky River High School, growing to 4,590 books. The Rocky River Board of Education then authorized the election of a Board of Trustees for a public library to be known as Rocky River Public Library. In 1927, the new Board of Trustees voted to spend $25,000, a gift from Thomas and Emily Macbeth, for land and landscaping for a new library and in 1928, Rocky River Public Library is dedicated. Its first librarian/director is Miss Katherine E. Wilder.
To observe our anniversary, let’s look back at movies and books from the 1920s. Here are a few titles in our collection:
Hope to see you on Saturday!